Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Totally Privileged

For the LONGEST time Steven and I have wanted to upgrade our cozy queen bed to a king.  We've fought it for years.  Our kids don't sleep in our bed, but after 11 years of marriage we are a little over cuddling all night.  More like a swift kick to get over to your side of the bed.  I mean, YOU BE CROWDED ME, BABE!!!

So finally we headed to the auction so we wouldn't be out of pocket too much.  I love the new furniture auction in our area.  I get a serious adrenaline rush listening to the auctioneer while trying to snag the best deal.  Lucky for me, there were 7 king sets of mattresses that I liked and not a big crowd.  All I had to do was wait for the last few sets and then go for my bid.  And guess what???  This girl snagged the most comfy $3,000 mattress set for $500.  Talk about a savings I love.

The bed is so roomy and comfy, but let me be real.  It's been a little over a week and I have thrown a bit of an internal hissy fit about a few things. 

1.  My new mattress set is chilling on the floor.  We haven't had time to get a frame just yet to lift it up. So we're riding low.  It's annoying me right now.

2.  I haven't put away the cash to pick out the bedding I want.  This also means I will more than likely redo the whole bedroom.  Meaning I will need to stash away more cash. Also, annoying me right now.

Then I got a bit of reality check in the mail.  The Compassion International magazine came out on top of the pile.  Article after article reminded me of how over-abundantly privileged we are. 

 

Not that anything is wrong with having nice things...or a king size bed, but throwing an internal hissy fit about a bed on the floor or not having the bedding I want...GEEZ Amanda!  Get a grip!

I like these little reminders about where we are in life.  We are blessed to be a blessing.  We live a comfortable life, but more importantly this comfortable life is to be shared with others.  It's a time to reflect on how easy things are for us compared to those who are searching for a way to feed their children and keep them free from disease.  It's a reminder that no matter how rough I think we may have it in certain situations, there are others struggling with much more in depth issues.

I'm also reminded that in light of all of my issues and the issues of the world, I don't have to feel like what I want or need or desire is insignificant.  God is bigger than me, bigger than these world issues, but He needs me and my family to help and serve.  So as we enjoy this totally privileged life, we are also totally privileged to help others.

So here's where I'm asking you for help.  Yeah, you knew it was coming. 

Each month we serve through the Tulsa Homeless Outreach and needs are abundant.  Hunger being a great need.  If you are in the Tulsa area, would you consider getting together sack lunches?  A sandwich, bag of chips, and granola bar speaks volumes to someone who is hungry. 

If providing food is not on your heart, maybe a collection of backpacks or sunscreen or chapstick or ball caps or toiletries...you get the point.  There are needs and there is no way my family can tackle filling needs without the support of our friends and family and supporters. 

So far we have been blown away with all of the donations, and we are so thankful for those of you who have gathered items, donated money, prayed for people, and those who have simply asked how it's going.  So for all of that, I just want to say THANK YOU from the bottom of my 'totally privileged' heart.  I love you guys!

No comments: