I remember a time when you would have asked me that very questions and I would have been like, "Uhhhhhh...(blank stare)...ummmm....(more blank staring)....I don't know." I had not a clue. I had settled for a day to day routine. A way of life that benefited my family. I created a life of selfishness. Me and my family? We're good. Everyone else? Not my responsibility. That's someone else's mess to clean up. I've been called to serve my family. To be a mom. To be a wife. To take care of a home.
And that my friends is a big pile of POOP!
All I can say is thank the Good Lord for Church on the Move in Tulsa, OK, great mentors in my life, and having a graceful God who didn't leave me in my fixed mindset.
Living a life of passion is truly the only way to live. I want you to think of passion like a hunger and thirst. Think about it. Hunger and thirst is natural. It is real. It is intense. Have you ever been hangry??? Hunger and thirst can be painful. It can be a driving force. And lastly, hunger and thirst is a sign of health.
When we forget to live on passion, part of us dies a little. We stop living up to our full potential. We stop growing. We become stagnant. We succumb to a daily grind. A mundane life. Yuck!
Here are a few tips on growing in your passion I picked up from the 2016 Global Leadership Summit.
- Enlarge Your Vision: Are you focusing on maintaining your everyday life or multiplying it? Begin to dream again. Write down those dreams and go for it. Take the risk of failure. Through failure brings growth.
- Empower People: Leadership is all around us. If you have kids, you're a leader. If you have friends, you're a leader. If you're a co-worker, you're a leader. If you're a spouse, you're a leader. If you know people, you're a leader. You simply have to rise up and fulfill your role. Begin to build others up. Call out the great aspects of their character or personality. Love on people the way you want to be loved.
- Focus On Character: People don't fail for lack of knowledge. We have information at our fingertips unlike any other generation. People fail for a lack of character. Generally, that falls in the arena of self-discipline. Build upon your ability to discipline yourself.
- Embrace Risk: If you are like me, this one make me uncomfortable. Being an analytical thinker I want to know all outcomes before making a decision. Instead of viewing risk as an enemy to avoid, I had to change my mindset to risk being a friend to love. Comfort and safety are even worse. I have noticed the more I step out in faith (or take a risk), magic happens. I grow a little and a bit more passion begins to spark.
- Increase Your Capacity For Pain: If you want to grow, you have to get uncomfortable and increase your capacity for pain. You get a little more vulnerable. What are you doing to increase your capacity for pain so you can grow?
Honestly, none of these 'helpful' tips are fun. I'm not sure I know one person who automatically loved risk and pain, but after they developed a passion they were on fire that cause a tidal wave of change in others.
So my call to action from you is...
You can simply take this info and learn a little, or you can make a decision. A decision to become a Passionary. A person who lives the rest of their life with vision and passion. The best way to live!