Friday, March 25, 2011

My Attitude About the Dang Cheese

On Tuesday I made extra grilled chicken breasts for PW's (in case you don't know, she's going to be my BFF) Grilled Pineapple and Chicken Quesadillas. I was getting ready to 'brown' the tortillas when I realized I didn't have any shredded cheddar cheese.  Or monterey.  Or any kind of shredded cheese to pair with the flavors. Just mozzarella.  I was so frustrated with myself.   I misplanned my menu, and misplanned the usage of ingredients for the week.

Since I wasn't about to load up 3 kids and haul them off to the nearest supermarket to pay full price for shredded cheese, I had to get creative. What did I already have to salvage this meal without taking away from other meals already planned this week?  I had a loaf of french bread, sliced cheddar cheese, onions, brown sugar, olive oil, and grilled chicken breasts.  All that could be combined to make sandwiches.  So that's what we had.

When I was throwing this together I had to stop and do an attitude check.  I was mad that my menu was thrown off from my mistake.  An inconvenience.  However, the truth was I had a semi-stocked pantry, a semi-full fridge, and a means to cook my food.  I needed to take a moment to be thankful for what I had instead of focusing on what I didn't. So what we weren't having what I'd planned on. The point was my family was going to eat.  Not only eat, but eat until we were full.  We are blessed, and I was taking that for granted.  I like having little reminders like this.  Keeps me focused on what's really important, and what's really important is not my schedule nor my menu.

Once I got my attitude in check I was putting love into what I was making.  That's what cooking is about for me.  Love.  A way to serve my family.  Making meals to not only meet their dietary needs, but to enjoy as well.  All that love turned into a sandwich we will definitely have again.  I'm going to call it the Dang Cheese Sandwich.  Here's the recipe...

Dang Cheese Sandwich
 (marinade for grilled chicken)
1 roasted red pepper, sliced (you can buy the jar kind and use 4-5 slices)
1 tsp capers
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp  mayo
2-3 chicken breasts, raw

  • In a food processor mix all ingredients together.
  • Poor over raw chicken.
  • Refrigerate overnight and grill until chicken juices run clear.
  • After chicken cools, refrigerate until ready to use.
(the actual sandwich recipe)

2-3 grilled chicken breasts
8 slices of french bread
1/2 cup sliced red onion
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp brown sugar
4 slices of cheddar cheese
dijon mustard
  • Heat olive oil on low heat, and toss in onions.  When onions begin to soften, add in brown sugar.  Be sure to stir because the brown sugar will carmelize. 
  • Once onions are covered and dark, remove from pan and let stand.
  • Slice chicken breast thinly.  This is easiest to do when the chicken is straight out of the fridge.
  • Spread your desired amount of dijon mustard on each piece of french bread.
  • Place sliced chicken on top of one slice of bread.
  • Add carmelized onions on top, then a slice of cheddar cheese.
  • Place another slice of french bread on top.
  • Do this until you have four sandwiches.
  • Bake at 350 degrees for about 5-7 minutes until cheese is melted.  Then turn on the broiler for 1-2 minutes until the french bread 'browns'.
It was so good, I made another one for lunch.  This is the pic of the Dang Cheese Sandwich at lunch.  Doesn't look near as appetizing, but it was yumm-o.

Happy Cooking!  Happy Attitude!  Happy Friday!

2 comments:

Alice said...

Looks good! That is great that you can come up with ideas on your own. I have to have a recipe and I love step-by-step instructions. Haha!

Jesse {GoodGirlGoneGlad} said...

Sounds delicious to me! Way to go, I am so not good at that. =)