Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Mexican Lasagna

A couple weeks back I went searching through my recipe binder for some tasty new recipes.  I ran across one that caught my eye.  When I ran it by our dinner guests, it didn't go over as well, and I'll tell you why.  It's called Mexican Lasagna.  I'm pretty sure I'm quoting this right when our guest said, "That doesn't sound like it should ever go together." 

At first I was confused.  I saw the ingredient list and it looked delicious.  Then I started thinking about what would make it sound gross, and BAM!  I got it.  Mexican food with lasagna noodles.  Real lasagna noodles.  Ewwww-weeee!  It doesn't sound very appetizing. So before you cross this one off your list, run through the ingredients list because it was tasty.

Mexican Lasagna
(adapted from a Simple & Delicious magazine)

1 lb ground beef
1 cup water
1 packet of taco seasoning
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1-1/2 cups sour cream
1-1/2 tsp chili powder
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 Tbsp cornmeal
12 corn tortillas
1/2 batch of PW's salsa*
1 small onion, diced
  • In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
  • Stir in water, taco seasoning, and garlic powder.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
  • Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine sour cream and chili powder. 
  • In the bottom of a greased 9x13 dish, sprinkle cornmeal.
  • Layer 6 corn tortillas (they will overlap).
  • Spread tortillas evenly with the sour cream mixture.
  • Pour and spread 1/2 of salsa (I used a spatula to gently spread the salsa evenly).
  • Layer 1/2 of each ingredient...taco meat, chopped onion, and shredded cheese
  • Repeat layers one more time.
  • Bake uncovered @ 375 degrees for 35 minutes.
*The original recipe called for 1-8oz jar of salsa.  However, my future BFF (aka The Pioneer Woman), has spoiled my taste buds for jar salsa.  I'll eat it, but I'd rather it be made fresh.  Picky, picky.

Happy Cooking!!!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I think it sounds really good! I'm gonna have to try it soon. The lasagna noodles might be ok...nah probably not.