Thursday, March 3, 2011

Are You Kidding Me???

The Tortoise or the Hare is a modern twist on a classic fable. On our last trip to the library I thought this would pair well with the well known Tortoise and the Hare fable.  In my mind it would allow for some great comparisons, but that's not what happened.

First we read the real story.  Great.  There's a reason it's been around so long.  It teaches a lesson.  You don't always have to be the best to win.  Put your best effort forth, and don't get too comfortable with your skills.  This kind of lesson sits well with my family.

Later that evening Little Man wanted to read the newer version by Toni Morrison, but he wanted his daddy to read it to him.  So Steven gets going and we're noticing the differences.  In fact, there's a little trash talking to media sources so we're thinking this is going to be a good competition.  Of course we're rooting for the underdog.  We're those kind of people.

Then we get to the end. 

It was the most poopy ending to a book I have ever read.  There was a clear winner, but Toni Morrison thought it to be fit to toss in a phrase to this effect...It doesn't matter who wins, it's about making friends.

Say what???

Steven got to that part and throws the book out Little Man's bedroom door.  He was fuming mad that he just spent 15 minutes reading a book that ended up with such a pansy statement.  Now sportsmanship is crucial in sports, but that doesn't mean you have to befriend your opponent.  In all my years of competitive gymnastics and cheerleading did I seek friendships from my opponents.  I congratulated them whether I won or lost, but I didn't invite them over for tea and crumpets.  Give. Me. A. Break.

Back to the night of the infamous bedtime story, Steven was so upset about the message the book was sending he goes into this lengthy speech that consisted of these words...

...Friends?...that's a loser's mentality...You're a Torres...quitting is not an option...put your best effort...yada yada yada...we're not ever reading that book again...

I'm sure I missing a big chunk of the speech, but I started dozing after the first 5 minutes.  However, Little Man just laid there sucking his thumb listening to every word rolling off his daddy's tongue.  All I know is he got a lot more than a bedtime story that night, and Steven is now censuring our story selections.  For all I know he's reporting the book inappropriate to the Tulsa County Library system.  What?  You think I'm kidding?

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Lol. Sounds like something I would do! Chunk that sucker right outta there! I have stopped in the middle of reading a book to Kiera because I did not like the message it was sending out. I dont know if I can handle reading the book first and then to her again. Sometimes reading the story once is enough!