Tuesday, June 28, 2011

I'm Gonna Find Out: A Lesson About the Tooth Fairy

Last Friday I was teaching a Coupon Class (with a great bunch of ladies) when some moms started talking about the tooth fairy.  It reminded me of this story from my last year of teaching. It's funny and mean and conniving and well deserved.  Enjoy.

My last year of teaching before staying home was a doozy.  My class was full of fun-loving stinkers.  Precious but ornery.  I loved teaching all seven years, but the last one was challenging to meet all the emotional/behavioral/educational needs of the students.  This has little to do with the story except the stinker of all stinkers is involved in this story.  I still can't believe I did this, but Stinker Stinker Pants had it coming...

8:40 am My Classroom

Mrs. Torres, Mrs. Torres (seeing I'm ignoring him because I'm helping someone else with questions from homework)  Mrs. Tooooooorrrrressss.

Sweet heart, hold on one minute.  You are interrupting.

But this is waaaaay more important.  I lost a tooth.

Go ahead and go down to the nurse and she will give you a tooth holder.

(Stinker Stinker Pants leaves to the nurse's office and returns a few minutes later).

Okay, Mrs. Torres.  Can I tell you now since you wouldn't listen to me earlier?

Yes, you may.  However, I will not listen when you are interrupting.  You have to wait patiently for your turn to speak.  We've talked about this.

I know, but it was an emergency!  Losing my tooth is an emergency. Anyway.  I'm going to find out if the Tooth Fairy is real or not.

(This part was my absolute favorite.  Stinker Stinker Pants was one of the cool kids who sometimes had issues with bullying.  The other kids were tuning in because it's pretty unusual for a 10 year old to still believe in the Tooth Fairy)

You are?  How are you going to do that?

I lost my tooth on the way to school this morning so my mom doesn't know about it.  I'm not going to tell anyone, except you.  Then if I wake up in the morning and there's money, I'll know the Tooth Fairy is real.

Wow, Stinker Stinker Pants.  That's a really good plan.  You'll have to let me know how that works out.

I will!

THE NEXT DAY...

Good morning, Stinker Stinker Pants, what did you find out about the Tooth Fairy?  Real or not?

Oh totally real!  I had five bucks under my pillow this morning.

Good to know!

END OF CONVERSATION...

I bet you're wondering how his mom found out.  Well, that's where I come in as Queen Stinker Pants.  I emailed his mom about his intricate plan.  I know, it's awful, but did I mention what a little stinker he was in class?  He had it coming.  I'm wondering when he'll figure out I pulled a fast one on him. I doubt in 7th grade, he still believes, but who knows?  He could have had another ornery teacher like me.

I would like to say that no matter how stinker-ish my students were, I loved them no less than my own children now.  Kids are kids and some have a few more battles than others. It's just fun to be able to play with them once in a while.

No comments: