Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Finding My Balance

Somedays I'm like this...

I'm not just balancing my day well, but I'm holding my own.  I'm marking things off my to-do list, keeping the kids busy with learning activities, and my house is immaculately clean.  I get my workout in, and I have my own quiet time.  On days like these, I feel accomplished, successful, and jealous. Jealous of my own awesomeness. 

Then I have days like this...

Days where I haven't completely fallen out of balance, but I'm close.  My to-do list is pretty long, but I'm getting some things done.  The kids are playing well, but I'm not teaching them.  I haven't worked out, but I've had my quiet time.  My house is not totally clean, but it's not filthy.  Overall it's a ho-hum day, but it feels like I could fall off the edge of sanity at any moment.  These kind of days used to drive me crazy, but now I'm used to them.  Used to them because I never had experienced days like this...


Days when I've completely fallen off.  My house is a mess, I'm not as patient with the kids as I should be, I haven't worked out, I haven't had my quiet time, and I haven't been the person I know I should have been.  Before kids I never knew I could have days like this.  Now, I've come very familiar with them.  Until now.  I'm changing up my routine.

Last week this little ball of dynamite started a running group for our neighborhood.  Erica, creator of F.I.T Boot Camp, has me getting up at 5:45am to run 3 miles on Tuesdays and Thursday mornings.  I am not a morning person, but I have to say getting up early with a run gets my day started out right.  I'm way more productive because I have time to accomplish tasks before the kids even wake up.  Before the kids were my alarm clock.  I used to think getting up earlier would leave me exhausted the rest of the day, but it's the complete opposite.  I have the energy to make it through successfully.

So here's to waking up early and tackling that to-do list.  Here's to staying on track.  Here's to keeping my balance and looking great while doing it. See, now that I've written this little pep talk out, I have to live it.  I just have one question for you...

How's your balance?  Seriously.  I want to know!

3 comments:

Mom said...

Your grandfather used to tell me,"There are 24 hours in every day.8 hrs. for your job, 8 for sleep, and 8 for family and God's service. He was right. You get those numbers of of wack and you're like a bicycle wheel that wobbles and won't roll. There is a lot of wisdom in Grandpa's words. Balance. You do it so well. Your post is so eloquently written and from the heart. I love that about you.

Ashley said...

I am usually in the middle one, sometimes the last, and rarely but occasionally the first. I have to constantly remind myself that there just aren't enough hours in the day and all other moms struggle the same. Some more and some less but I'm not the only one. I would love to be on top of it all, i just don't think its possible right now.

amanda torres said...

Ashley, we all do struggle! You are not alone. I think the best thing to do is try the best you can to live a balanced life and spend time enjoying what really matters.