Friday, April 29, 2011

The Best Advice I Ever Received About Kids

I was barely 21 when I began my student teaching.  Nervousness crept over my entire body as I watched the clock tick closer and closer to 8:40am.  The time the little second graders would file through the door. About one minute until I set my eyes upon the most precious faces, my mentor teacher turned to me and said, "Make sure you notice details about these kids.  They appreciate it."  For some reason that little tidbit of information stuck with me. 

We all like to be noticed (unless you're me and the slightest bit of recognition brings upon an instant sweat fest). Being noticed. Being recognized.  It feels good.  Why would it be any different for kids? 

Throughout the seven years of teaching, I paid attention.  I paid attention to shoes, clothes, haircuts, scrapes, bruises, glasses, fingernails, and everything in between.  Each morning my students barrelled through the door, I'd search for the slightest change and comment on it.  I felt if I noticed the little things, they would feel a closeness with me.  Honestly, some of the kids weren't used to someone paying attention to the details of their life which broke my heart every single time.  I had the closest relationship with those kiddos.

I truly believe my success in teaching relied heavily on noticing the details in my students.  Since I took the time to care about more than their academics, they took time to care about their academics.  I cherished the relationship I had with each of my students.  They were created so uniquely and so special.  I wanted to be the one to recognize their gifts.  When I stopped teaching this was the hardest chapter to close.  I wasn't going to be there to notice the little things in kids who needed noticing.

What I didn't realize was how important noticing details in my own kids would replace what I was losing.  My own kids need to be praised and recognized for every little accomplishment.  From dressing themselves to cleaning up their own mess, it's my job to notice them.  So here's your challenge for this weekend.  Pay close attention to your kids.  Look for those little things your kids do and don't wait for them to show you.  You be the first to notice and make a big fuss over it.  It's the best way to build your relationship.  Your kids will blossom from it.  In fact, turn the comment section into our own little bragfest on our kids.

4 comments:

Alice said...

You are such a good mother. I bet you were such an awesome teacher.

Jesse {GoodGirlGoneGlad} said...

You sounds like you were a wonderful teacher! Great advice!
Happy weekend friend!
xx

Rosina said...

This kind of made me get a little choked up!! Made me think about the kiddos in my class and how I get busy sometimes and forget to notice them especially this time of year. Thanks for the reminder.

lesleyzellers said...

Love your advice and thanks for the encouraging comment on my blog.