Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A Sorta Copycat DIY Decorating Thingamajig

I am by no means a crafty person.  Sure I follow many blogs who have these cutesy crafty DIY projects, but when I have the inclination to do it myself I slap myself two times and that immediately snaps me back into reality.  Then Jesse Peak came along.  Although I'm not ready to tackle her extensive stenciling and crafting projects, I did see a glimpse of a photo collage in her home that made me say, "I might possibly could reproduce something such as that."  I tried slapping myself two times, and the idea stayed with me.  I took that as a sign to go for it. 

So I dragged my sorry non-DIY self to my local Goodwill store and purchased two of the ugliest wall art pieces I could find.  Actually, I was looking for two sturdy and cute frames.  It just so happened the ones I liked were a horrendous shade of gold with 1980's style prints of bathtubs.  In fact, when I was purchasing these $3 hideous prints I resisted multiple urges to tell the worker that these were not going to hang in my house as is.  Then I realized, she didn't care.  Nor did she want my in depth description of how I slapped myself in the face before I driving to the store.  I only share these things with my best friends and family.  You are my friends, right???

As soon as I got home I ripped out the 80's bathtub prints and scrubbed the frames clean.  There was about an inch of hairspray caked on the frames.  More proof that these were 80's prints.  I'm pretty sure I caught a whiff of Aquanet hairspray.  Yep, totally 80's.

After the frames dried, I spray painted them with a black semi satin finish.  Then busted out my fabulous hot glue gun, twine, and mini clothespins (which were school bus yellow...thank you spray paint).  Bringing all my ramblings to an end, I came up with these (sorry the pic quality is stinky)...


They were an addition to our Hall of Fame...


I was pretty pleased with the end result.  I think I may contact Genevieve Gorder of HGTV.  She may need my assistance on her next show. 

Seriously though, our house is such a work in progress.  When I say a work in progress, I mean a-work-in-progress.  As in one work per month.  I flip-flop between what styles I like and wait and wait and wait for the perfect piece.  At this rate my house will be fully decorated when Little Man and Little Miss get married...so about 50 years ;)

Now if you'd like to see what these were really supposed to look like, be sure to go here.

4 comments:

Jesse {GoodGirlGoneGlad} said...

Look how crafty you are!! They came out great! I love them! =)

Ashley said...

Ha ha! You made it to Goodwill! That is a super cute idea! I recently did a project with clothes pins also! You will see it later this week!

Mom said...

You're amazing. I love it! What a great Christmas idea for next year. Hint. Hint.

Julie said...

Love this! I'm a big fan of clothespins! I hang all of the kids artwork from school in our entry way with them. Oh and I would have totally told the Goodwill girl that they weren't going in my bathroom, even if she didn't care, lol!