Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A Jump Start on Couponing

  • Couponing is too hard.
  • Couponing is confusing.
  • I don't have the time to coupon.
  • There aren't coupons for the products I buy.
  • I don't want to look poor by using coupons.
I've only couponed for a year, but I've heard all of the above comments from people.  None of them were mean spirited, just thoughts out loud from people who want to start, but have reservations.  After all couponing is a job.  A J-O-B, and any job I've had takes time.  Your time in exchange for money.  Couponing is no different.  You will spend some time clipping and finding deals, but in exchange you will save a considerable amount of your hard earned money. 

If you are interested in couponing, but feel overwhelmed by the task I have a few tips for starting out.  Tips that helped me become a successful couponer.
  1. Know What You Currently Spend You won't know if you're saving money, if you don't know what you spend on groceries/tolietries already.  Go back to your online banking or check registry and track your spending for the last few months.  Keep this handy when setting your grocery budget.  When I first started out, we were spending close to $600/month on groceries and tolietry items.  A good chunk of our budget. 
  2. Just Start Clipping!!! Clip coupons for any products you use or would use.  For example, if you use Tide laundry detergent, but see coupons for another brand of laundry detergent go ahead and clip it.  You very well could have an opportunity to try another brand for free or close to free.  A few months back, I had the opportunity to get a few bottles of Era laundry detergent for free.  Surprisingly, I really like the Era brand.  This is just one case in many of various products I've tried using coupons.  My rule of thumb is if I would use it, clip it. 
  3. Choose ONE Store-Start utilizing coupons where you feel the most comfortable, but be sure the store accepts those coupons.  Fortunately, in my area almost every grocery chain (with the exception of Aldi) accepts coupons.  Once you get comfortable using coupons at your store, then branch out to others, like Walgreens, CVS, etc.  You can really save some bucks with the promotional items at drugstores.
  4. Choose ONE Method-I suggest starting with coupons. Be sure to take your coupons with you, and don't forget to use them when you are checking out.  Coupons is ONE method of saving money.  After you get comfortable with using coupons, THEN begin using Competitor Ads.  Competitor Ads are the ads that other stores put out advertising their weekly sales.  Target and Walmart will honor the sale prices of other stores in your shopping area.  However, it must be for a $X.XX amount and not for a % off or Buy One, Get One Free advertisement.  For example, if you see cantaloupe on sale in an ad for $1.98, and Walmart's price is $2.98, they will adjust the price for you.  You must tell them as the item is being scanned, and have your ad ready when checking out.  Recently, Walmart starting accepting Competitor Coupons (woot woot!).  Case in point, I had a Lowe's and Target coupons for a few items.  Even though the checker was unsure about taking them, she called over a manger who showed her how to do it.  I ended up saving some major $$$ on this new deal!
  5. Add a New Goal Each Week  Don't put so much pressure to save a huge amount in the beginning.  Get used to using coupons, then begin utilizing competitor ads, and finally add competitor coupons.  It took me a good 6 months to understand how to get the best deals and the coupon policies/tricks at each store.  Give yourself time to learn, and time to start saving.  You may only save $10 the first month, and that's okay.  $10 is still a saving!  Be proud of what you accomplish!
  6. You Will Get Faster  In the beginning, I spent about 1-2 hours per week clipping coupons, searching for deals and making my menu.  Now I only spend about 45 minutes.  If saving money to you is important, then you will find the time.  For my mom, she started couponing in the summer months.  She's a teacher and knew that's when she would have the time to invest in the learning process.  By the time school started again, she had a good handle on the time she was spending to save money.
  7. Don't Be Afraid To Ask Questions If you have a question, just ask.  Most store clerks in my area are very helpful.  Occassionally, you will run into an issue where a clerk doesn't want to work with you or your coupons.  In that case, don't be afraid to ask for a manager or to remind the checker of the stores coupon policy.  However, do NOT be hateful towards them even if they are wrong.  If they won't accept your coupons, competitor ads, and/or competitor coupons, then politely refuse the items.  I've done that a handful of time.  There is no reason to be embarrassed.  It's your money!
I hope these few tips help you get started.  I wish you the best of luck, and to help you get started on a pile of coupons here's a list of printable coupons sites...

Coupons.com
RedPlum.com
SmartSource.com
Betty Crocker
Target Coupons

Happy Couponing!!!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I am so happy you talked about couponing! I have the same thoughts on coupons. We will use coupons for a couple months and then just stop. We save at least the sales tax and that makes me happy but I want more! Maybe that will be a goal for the year. Funny that you mention Era. I am highly allergic to the stuff. Break out in hives from head to toe. Not fun. That's why I haven't touched the stuff in 20 years!

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting this. I'd gotten really into it last year & then stopped when I went to work in January. I pulled my coupon folder out yesterday & was going to get re-started on it, so this is good timing!