Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Parenthood

Have you ever seen the movie Parenthood?  Not the show, but the actual movie.  It paints such a clear picture about what parenthood is all about.  Working our tails off to bring up our kids the best way we know how.  Despite doing our best we know parenthood is hard.  We know parenthood is fun. We know parenthood is agonizing.  We know parenthood is hilarious.  We know parenthood is irritating.  We know parenthood is rewarding.  And we definitely know parenthood is challenging. 

If you're a parent you know exactly what I'm talking about.  It's a job raising these monkeys kids.  Some days I'm pleased with the job I'm doing, and other days I'm just mad at myself.  A while back Steven and I made a list of traits we wanted to instill in our kids before they leave home.  We wrote them on an index card and stuck them to the side of the fridge.  You're curious what our words are, aren't you?  Well, I'm not gonna share.  Kidding.  Here they are...
  • joyful
  • successful
  • blessed
  • wealthy
  • righteous
  • influential
  • gracious
  • compassionate
  • generous
  • just
  • secure
  • triumphant
If you're curious where we came up with these crazy ideas, it's from the Bible.  Psalm 112 to be exact.  It's the picture of a Godly family.  Having these visible keeps me accountable throughout the day.  It reminds me that what I do daily affects them greatly.  I have to be intentional to teach them to how to be the above words.  It's a hard job.  I look forward to the day when I can put little check marks by the trait they've mastered.  Like really, really look forward to it.

1 comment:

Jesse {GoodGirlGoneGlad} said...

I think this is fabulous! Josh and I have definitely talked about the kind of kid we want to raise, but haven't made a list. Think it's a fab idea. =)