Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Classic Croque Monsieur

Who doesn't like a ham and cheese sandwich? Okay, I know one.  Steven.  He is NOT a ham person.  I don't know how we ended up together because I love ham.  Love it like a fat kid loves cake.  Even though Mr. doesn't like ham, I took my chances on this sandwich because it has a French name.  Steven loves to pretend he can speak French so as long I told him the name he would be distracted.  Distracted by pretending to be French and saying, Croque Monsieur over and over and over again.

Thankfully, my plan worked.  I told him the name, but didn't tell him what was in it.  I think the conversation went like this...

Phone rings


Me: "Hello."

Steven:  "Hey Babe.  I was wondering what's for dinner?"

Me:  "It's a new recipe.  A French sandwich called Croque Monsieur."

Steven:  "Ohhh, Croque Monsieur...I like it."

See how my master plan worked.  It was pretty simple.  French...it's a great tool when distracting my husband. Heck, you should see him when the Target commercial comes on. You know, the one where the people jump out of the hot air balloon? He loves that one.  You know why?  Yep, you guessed it.  It's a French song.

Enough of my husband's fetish with trying to speak French, here's the deets on the way I did the sandwich...

Croque Monsieur


8 Slices of French bread
2 Tbsp spicy brown mustard (or dijon)
1 Tbsp mayo
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
4 Tbsp butter
1/2 ham
4 slices Provolone cheese

  • Heat oven to 450 degrees.  Melt butter in 9x13 dish.
  • Mix mustard and mayo together.  Spread on each slice of bread.
  • Slap on the ham and cheese and build the sandwich.
  • In a shallow dish (I used a pie pan), wisk eggs and milk together.
  • Using tongs dip each sandwich, on both sides, in the egg mixture.  Allow the bread to soak up the liquid.
  • Place in melted butter, and bake for 5 minutes on each side or until bread becomes golden brown.
This really was a nice surprise.  Warm, delicious, and easy to make.  Plus, it's French!  An added bonus at the Torres house.


No comments: