Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Little Stuff Adds Up

Isaiah 55:8 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the Lord.


I don't know how many times I've sat down with my Bible, my journal, and my prayers and basically lined it up with God how I think a situation should go.

Recently, Steven and I were hit hard with medical bills.  More so than what we planned for for the year.  Back in May Steven was dealing with severe stomach cramping that was almost debilitating.  After extensive testing the numerous bills started to add up.  Thank goodness for a healthy savings.  I thought we were over the hump, but shortly after Little Miss was admitted to the day hospital  to receive fluids for dehydration from an extremely high fever.  Again, I thought we were DONE with the medical stuff after that little stay.  Nope.  A month later I found myself at the ER trying to figure out what was causing me so much pain.  It ended up being kidney stones, but being pregnant, we didn't want to take any chances.  None of these individual costs were extreme.  Each test and/or hospital admittance was only a couple hundred dollars, but when you add that up times four or five by each person in the medical world that gets their share of your visit, the little stuff adds up.

At first I was thankful for our healthy savings, but I also began to see our savings get to our bottom line amount.   That number we always said we would never go below in case of an emergency.  We had to start getting creative.  My creativity only goes so far, so I prayed.  I basically told God what I needed and how I needed it. I really thought my plan was great.  It wasn't.  God's plan was better.  Just as our medical bills were adding up little by little, opportunities to bring in more money without touching our savings started rolling in little by little.

Even this week we've reaped so many unbelievable blessings.  I can't help but stand in awe of how God cares so much for my family.  He far exceeds our expectations and needs and desires.  It's amazing to stand back and see His plans.  Thank goodness He doesn't follow mine.  He stays true to His Word.  All of our medical bills were paid with cash and not one was ever late nor did we go on any kind of payment schedule.  Only half was paid for out of savings.  All of the other bills were taken care of by little side jobs either Steven or I had come our way.  All the little opportunities God sent added up to something big.  All we had to do was believe He had a plan for us and accept/do what He sent our way.

No comments: