Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Musical Interpretation

Have you ever heard a song and wondered, "What does this mean?"  Some songs are like poetry.  You hear the song and it leaves you boggled.  Like all those old poems in Humanity class you had to read, recite, and give your interpretation to the weird and twisted great work. 

I have no doubt that if you are a country music fan, you've heard Hello World by Lady Antebellum.  It's a beautiful song.  You're probably thinking, "I know what that's about.  It's about a man who finally 'checks' back into the world that he has been missing out on."  Yes, this is true, but do you know WHY he's checked out?  This I will tell you, but first some of the lyrics from the chorus....

Well, hello world, how've you been?
Good to see you, my old friend
Sometimes I feel, cold as steel
Broken like I'm never gonna heal
I see a light, little hole in the little girl
Well, hello world

Are you ready for the reason?  He's been checked out because he's been doing laundry.  What?  You don't see the connection to laundry?  I'll break it down for you...

Well, hello world, how've you been?
Good to see you, my old friend

- He's been in his laundry room so long he has forgotten that the world continues on without you.  He's just stepped outside and recognizes this life altering fact.

Sometimes I feel cold as steel
Broken like I'm never gonna heal

-Pressing himself against the washing machine on the cold cycle loading clothes he's become frigid.  Once the cycle has started, he closes the top loader and moves to the dryer to fold the load that has just finished. It's been on the high heat cycle.  He's crying over the amount of time he's missing with his kids.  He then feels a burning sensation on his thighs.  He wonders if the burn will heal.

I see a light, little hole in a little girl
Well, hello world 

-He's clearly washing a load of his little girl's clothes.  They have a small hole in the knee of some light colored pants.

I could go on and on with the rest of the song, but I'm sure you're convinced of my genius interpretation.  I am for hire if you need further assistance, but until then I'll leave you with a picture of my final loads of laundry.  The last 3 that need to be folded.  The last 3 loads of 10. Well, hello world!


1 comment: