Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Balance

Did you do your homework?  Did you watch the video from LifeChurch.tv? If not, hopefully it's not too late to log on and watch.  It's a must.  Have your tissues on hand and your mind prepared for some harsh reality. I thought I was prepared to have some heart strings pulled.  What I wasn't prepared for was the thoughts that have consumed me daily since watching.

The whole message was focused on the movie The Impossible.  Here's a little trailer for the movie...


I never even knew this movie was even out there, but I now want to watch the entire thing.  This family intrigues me so much it has me evaluating how we are raising our children.

The couple in the film was vacationing in one of the most beautiful places in the world with their three sons when the tsunami hit.  I can't imagine the fear that strikes you when you know there is nothing you can do to protect your children.  The force of the water will rip your babies right out of your arms.  You sit and watch and are powerless.  In times like that I am thankful we serve a greater God.  Greater than circumstances. Greater the enemy.  Greater is He.

Beyond the thankfulness, I also cannot get out of my head what this family did to help others.  There is a scene where the mom and oldest son find each other.  The mom is terrible need of medical attention and the son is concerned to get her the help she needs.  However, they hear the cry of a young child.  Long story short, the mom convinces the son they must help even if it's the last thing they do.  I get that.  I would have done the same.  How could I not help the helpless?  After all, I would want someone to do the same for my other two children I have yet to find.  I would want my child and I to help.  For my child to see me help in a time where I know he is safe.

What I cannot comprehend is the later scene from the hospital.  The mom is getting the attention she needs in the best way the medical professionals can in a mass destruction situation.  When she wakes, she asks her boy to go out and help the other people.  Whoa!  I was appalled of the thought of asking Little Man to separate himself from me in a natural disaster situation.  To ask him to go help and see devastation that I feel his little mind is not ready for.  What if I lost him in the chaos?  What if he was taken?  What if I never saw him again because of something I asked him to do?

Then it hit me.  Would I allow my fears to keep him from serving outside of me?  Is that something I would really be asked to do?  What do I truly serve...God, or my fears?  It's a lot for me to think about.  As a parent we look to protect and teach, but where is the balance in this.  I want my children to serve and know there are greater needs out there, but I want them to be safe.  I want them to help those who need help, but not at the risk of losing them. So that, my friends, it what I am currently searching for.  I am searching for balance in my parenting.  Balancing between my job as a protector and my job as a teacher.  

What are some things your family does to teach your children to serve?  What does that look like for you?  How do you keep the fears down when stepping outside your comfort zone in regards to your children?



No comments: