Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Lessons From a Garage Sale

On rare occasions do lesson of life hit me so hard it alters my life.  There have been moments where I have experienced so much clarity that I have been broken.  Then there are times where lessons bring me clarity and I am disgusted.  The lesson I am about to share with you is a lesson of shock.

Late Thursday night I decided to throw some items into my friend's garage sale.  I was so exhausted, but dragged myself up in the attic to pull down all the baby equipment our family has out grown.  I really thought I would just put those things in the sale, but come Friday morning I found myself searching through my bathroom for items I needed to get rid of.

After 33 years of living on this Earth, I know two things.  People are crazy, and crazy people buy crazy stuff.  With these two things in mind, I emptied out my Bath & Body Works drawer of all the half empty lotions and sprays that had been sitting there for, I kid you not, over 6 years.  

Guess what?  It all sold.  Each half empty, 6 year old bottle for $1 each.

If you think that's bad, then you really need to brace yourself.  I also put used deodorant in the garage sale.  Last year I had purchased Steven 2 Right Guard deodorants with coupons for free.  He tried both of them one time and didn't like them.  Since they were no longer new I couldn't donate them, so they just sat in our cabinet.  I couldn't bring myself to throw them away.

As I was cleaning out the cabinet, I reached in and grabbed those deodorants and chuckled.  I honestly thought, "This will be funny to see if anyone will buy these."

Guess what?  They sold!  Unfortunately, I wasn't there to see the man who purchased them.  I wish I had a time travel machine so I could go back in time and be there for that transaction.  Oh who am I kidding?  It was best I wasn't there.  I would have died laughing that someone purchased my husband's used deodorant. Hopefully there wasn't any leftover black armpit hairs!


My life lesson is this...

Never underestimate the power of a garage sale-er.  They will purchase anything.  Therefore, the seller should put anything in the sale.  Even used personal products.

No comments: