Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A True Confession

{Little Man at age 3}

Steven and I dated for nearly six years before we tied the knot.  We met in high school, and despite attending separate colleges for six years, we stayed together through our college days.  Steven played college football at a small junior college for a year and a half until he received a full scholarship at a Division II school.  This really isn't apart of the confession, but it will give a little background information.

In the summertime, Steven and I spent as much time as possible together.  Once his football season started back up in August, he would be busy with playstation tournaments and dorm life workouts, practice, class, and studies.  We spent lots of nights talking until late and accidentally fall asleep on the couch at my house or his dad's house.    On one night in particular, we both sacked out at his dad's.  He woke me up and sent me on my way.  I drove myself home, walked into my house, made donuts, and then woke up.  Yep, you read that right.  I woke up again.  Technically, I woke up for the first time.  I have an issue with sleep talking and walking. 

When Steven 'woke' me up at his dad's house to tell me we had fallen asleep again and it was time to go home, I looked like I was awake.  My eyes were open, and even though I was saying weird things to him, I was talking.  He says now that he should of known.  My mom had told him sleep talking/walking stories before, but apparently I'm so convincing when it happens that you don't realize it.  I even deny that I'm sleeping. 

I think the scariest part of the whole thing was I drove myself home while I was sleeping.  I woke up in the middle of my kitchen making donuts in a deep fryer at midnight.  I had not a clue how I had gotten home, let alone why I was making donuts.  The last thing I remembered was sitting in Steven's living room talking to him about possible wedding dates.

This is just one of many crazy stories my mom could tell you about me.  At night I used to walk in her room, get inches from her face, and whisper scream, "Mom!!!!"  Then I would coerce her to come perform whatever task I desired for her to do until I would get back in bed.  I know my mom secretly wished for me to have a child just like me.

Sharing my deepest, darkest secret does has a purpose.  Now that Little Man is getting older, he's starting to do unusual things in his sleep.  Last night, I woke up to a little four year old standing inches from my face.  I don't know how long he'd been standing there.  He was completely silent, eyes wide open, and staring intently at my face.  Honestly, it scared the heebee jeebee's out of me. 

I walked Little Man back down the hall to his room and put him to bed.  He never said anything to me and didn't mention anything about it in the morning.  When I asked him if he remembered standing by my bed, he told me he was night-night all night long.  Hmmmm....another freakish sleepwalker in the house.  This can't be good!

Mom, as you're reading this try to contain your excitement for paybacks!!!

10 comments:

Kimbo said...

Wileo is our night time walker.
He will call out my name, and when I get there he is still smooth passed out.

My favorite time was a couple years back when I heard Samantha call my name. Apparently she woke up in the middle of the night to find her little bro standing at her bedroom window...just staring out the window. She was like "GET OUT!!!!". It was hilarious....to me anyways!!!!

Sadie said...

Wow...that is scary about you sleep driving home! I had to giggle about little man though! That would scare me too!

Ashley said...

There were times when I was younger and I would wake up in bed and I had no idea how I got there. Every time my parents said I walked up the stairs and got in bed myself. It was just upstairs, not DRIVING!! I have converstaions while I am asleep. Jimmy says they don't make much sense but it's hilarious!

Alice said...

My oldest son did this for awhile. And it also scared me when he would be in my room just staring me down!

Here are some of his funny stories:
One night Alan found him sitting at the kitchen table and he was dumping the salt & pepper out. Another time I found him trying to unlock the front door (scary and so glad I heard it). And then once I saw him peeing (YES peeing) in my kitchen right beside the fridge. That was very odd and a huge mess to clean up. He hasn't done it lately.

Sarah said...

Oh, that is funny! Ok, scary, too, but I think it is hilarious that somewhere in your subconcious you thought "I need donuts now!" My nephews sleep walked some when they were young but grew out of it, so there is hope. Just be thankful that Mason hasn't sleep walked to the kitchen, opened the refridgerator door, and peed(as did my oldest nephew). :)

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mom said...

Just wait, Little Miss, will be sleep walking next. She's the little version of YOU. Enjoy the adventure!

Unknown said...

Our oldest does this. I think it's hilarious, my husband however does not. He insists that I snap her out of it, but I can't! I just follow her around trying not to laugh too much!

Jesse {GoodGirlGoneGlad} said...

LOL! This is a cute story, although a little scary at the thought of you driving home "asleep".

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

Wow, how freaky/scary! Do you still do it?