Friday, January 21, 2011

Homemade French Fries

I've had a lot of emails about how we make homemade french fries.  It's really not hard, and way better than picking up a pack of preservative filled frozen ones.  Plus, you get to add your own seasonings.

First we start by digging up our potatoes from our organic garden.  Gotcha!  We don't have an organic garden.  It would be nice, but I have yet to tackle that one.  Instead, we have a grocery store that sells a 5lb bag of potatoes.  We use those.  Grocery stores...such a great invention!

I wash and slice the potatoes into french fry size pieces.  I use 3-4 potatoes for my family.  After I slice them up, I drizzle a little olive oil over the top and sprinkle on the seasonings of choice.  In the pic below, we used a little Kosher salt and oregano.  (Alternative choices: seasoning salt, steak seasoning, garlic powder combined with onion powder...whatever we're in the mood for.)  Once you season, toss them around a bit so you can get a good coating...
{Notice the man hands are not mine.  The hubby is getting domesticated.}

After the coating, you'll throw them in a non-stick skillet for about 10-15.  You shouldn't need to spray the pan since the fries are coated in olive oil, but if you're pan has a history of 'stickage' please spray.  You'll keep them in the skillet until they are starting to soften up a bit and the outer part is getting a little golden brown.

Once the potatoes soften up and are a little golden brown, spread them out on a greased baking sheet.  Bake @ 400 degrees for about 15 minutes.  If you like your fries crispy, then crank on the broiler for a minute or two at the end.

I have not one picture of the finished product.  I went to teach my gymnastics class before these were finished.  I felt bad asking the newly domesticated husband to take a pic of his first batch (he had stage fright).  Maybe next time.  I don't want to scare him out of the kitchen.
Happy Cooking!!!

2 comments:

Jesse {GoodGirlGoneGlad} said...

Sounds yummy! And when you get that organic garden, I'm coming over.

AshleyAnn said...

Those look so good. I do this with sweet potatoes and add some cayenne pepper for kick...