Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I Wanna Talk About You

I wanna talk about you. You.  Just you.  No one else.  You.  The person you are when you wake up.  The person you are when you go to bed.  The person you are when you are sleeping. The person YOU are just being. 

Your mind is probably going to one of two places.
  • Place #1-YES!  I love talking about me.  Me is my favorite subject. 
  • Place #2-Are you kidding?  Me is the last person I want to talk about.  Why would you want to talk about me?
If you're like most women, you're falling more in line with Place #2.  We don't like to talk about ourselves.  We don't feel comfortable with the spotlight on us.  Sometimes we don't even feel comfortable being us.  Or maybe I'm just speaking about myself here.  In all honesty, I am speaking about myself.  Well, my former self.  The self I was for a long, long time.

All through grade school, middle school, and high school I never felt good enough.  This continued all the way through college and well into my twenties.  Twenty-eight to be exact.  Everyone around me had better hair, better clothes, a better figure, a better financial outlook, etc.  The list could go on and on and on and on.  I could look at any woman, and immediately point out what ways she was better than me.  The comparisons were endless.  I used to pray that God would make me feel better about myself, but nothing would change.

It wasn't that God wasn't hearing me.  It was more like I wasn't hearing what God was saying to me.  I wanted him to do all the work and be done with it.  The first thing I had to do was capture my thoughts.  If I started having a 'they're better than me' moment, I would stop and quote what God says about me.

Jeremiah 29:11 "I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." 

Job 36:11 "If they obey and serve him, they will spend the rest of their days in prosperity, and their years in contentment."

These are just a few verses in a group of many.  I had to say these over and over to really get them in my head.  Over time, my thoughts began to change.  The realization that I was created to fill a specific purpose became more of a reality.  Do I know exactly what that purpose entails?  Nope, but I do receive bits and pieces of the plan daily.

This is where YOU come in.  I strongly desire for not even my worst enemy to feel this way.  I hope that you look around and celebrate other women, instead of compare yourselves to them.  Women are wonderful.  We do a ton of things men could never do, or want to do.

So I leave you with this...

YOU were created to be YOU.  YOU were put here to fulfill a special purpose.  Something that only YOU could do.  No one else can be YOU, or take YOUR place.   YOU are special.  YOU are meaningful.  No one is better than YOU, because only YOU can be YOU.

PS~I love YOU!

I love you so much, I'll leave you with this picture.  A picture that captures a time where I felt like a gigantic cow.  A picture that you can all laugh at.  It's okay, laugh.  Laugh hard.  I would if this were a picture of you...

3 comments:

Kuenys said...

you are one of the best possible people i know! you are truly my best friend and i love you with my whole heart. i am so glad did such a turn around in your life and that he decided to use you in so many people's lives!

Kuenys said...

that was supposed to say "god did a turn around in you".

Tiffany Kelly said...

You were a beautiful pregnant mama! Every child at Lynn Wood loved you whether you had them as a student or not. While being a female in America, where plastic is in and green is out when it comes to beauty, is difficult and we do judge ourselves. Thanks for your "bits" of sunshine.