Wednesday, October 27, 2010

All Things Pumpkins

We have not made it to a pumpkin patch this year, and I don't think we're going to make it.  Instead we did some pumpkin things at home, like carving our first family pumpkin and roasting it's seeds.  I can't really say that the kids helped with the carving of the pumpkin.  Little Man only wanted to pull out the seeds one by one.  Since it was already evening time, we decided to reach in and get down to the nitty gritty.  We wanted the job done before Halloween. 

Little Miss' only contribution was informing us that what we were doing was, "Ewwweeee."  Typical girl!  However, Steven enjoyed the carving process.  He had never, in his entire life, carved a pumpkin.  Ever.  I couldn't believe it.  He did a great job for his first one.  It was a great Torres Family moment.  Since we're a super competitive family, we now have a starting point in which to make our pumpkins better and better.

I had remembered eating roasted pumpkin seeds as a kid and being completely disgusted.  So, I went to Tasty Kitchen to do a little pumpkin seed roasting research.  I found this recipe.  It was simple.  I kept my oven temperature at 200 degrees to preserve more of the nutrients in the seeds.

I give these seeds two thumbs up.  The seeds came out crispy and flavorful.  Little Miss even approved (Little Man didn't like them).  I was st-st-st-stoked.  Another item to add to her little menu of healthy options.  Too bad pumpkins aren't year round.

Happy Cooking!!!

1 comment:

Jesse said...

I love pumpin seeds!