Thursday, September 9, 2010

Pumpin'

Mental webs.  It's funny how you can see a picture and it sparks a thought.  That thought then reminds you of an experience.  That experience causes you to say, "Yep, I did that."  Here's my mental web that started with this photo...
Meet my brother-in-law.  No, that's not my husband.  Yes, that is a nursing pillow he's using as a travel pillow.  It's this very pillow that had me remembering the times I nursed my little babies from birth to about fifteen months.  If you've never nursed a child, you probably won't get this post.  It will be completely foreign to you.  Probably a little weird.  Strange.  Uncomfortable.  Don't say I didn't warn you. 

I enjoyed nursing my kids.  It was a special time where they were still and vulnerable and precious.  Not that they weren't precious at other times, but especially while nursing.  I did not enjoy pumping.  Loathed it.  I think of my friend, Jackie, who solely pumped for an extended period of time for both of her boys.  That's dedication.  Pumping for me was a must though if I wanted to keep nursing. 

While both the kids were infants, I worked as a teacher.  Therefore, I had to pump two times during the school day.  Once during my plan period, and once during lunch.  I became a professional at multi-tasking while pumping.  I could make phone calls to parents.  A few parents stopped to ask what that 'whooshing' noise was..."What noise?" I would reply.  I was proficient at grading papers while pumping.  Only occasional milk spills happened.  They left stains, but they got graded.  I could eat lunch like a champ while pumping.  If it was a really good lunch, I would forget I was pumping and overflows would happen.  I did it for the love of my kids, and the sanity for my daily life.  There was no way I could sit idoly for 15+ minutes while pumping.  Multi-tasking was a must. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are the pumping queen sounds like to me! LOL! I couldn't even breast feed. Some kind of a mental block, stressed me out. Isn't that goofy? =)