Thursday, March 6, 2014

We Got This Parenting Thing Down, Right?

 

When I look at this picture I totally feel like I have conquered the world.  Do you know how many times we have attempted to get the 3 kids looking and smiling at the camera at the exact same moment?  Like a gazillion.  The pic above is the first time ever.  I love everything about it except Steven isn't in it.  And my hair.  I need to totally change my hair. Check that.  I don't need to change my hair.  I need to actually fix my hair. 

I digress.

Looking at this picture makes me feel like I have conquered this parenting thing.  Then you go to McAlister's and you are quickly reminded that there is work to be done.  Lots of work to be done.

At first we're standing in line and Little Man and Little Miss are patiently waiting for our turn to order, and Chubby Cheekers is entertaining the elderly couple behind us by introducing our entire family.  

Dis is Mommy.  Dis is Dad-dee.  Dis is Bubby, Dis is Sissy.

I really thought Granny was going to pay for his dinner.  She was so putty in his hand. 

So there we are feeling so good about our parenting skills.  Strutting through finding our seats with the, 'Oh yeah, look at us.  We got this.' attitude.  We sit down and the kids are running through their day with Steven.  I'm intently listening because that's what good parents do.  Another badge on my Good Parenting Vest.  

That's when I realized that Chubby Cheekers was turned around in the booth...facing the newest patrons of McAlister's.  Not just turned around, but halfway hanging into their booth.

Then I hear it.

Hey!  You give me a Cheetos?

He's totally trying to bum a snack off the little girl, maybe 3 years old, snacking while waiting for her dinner.  She ignores him.  Not one to be ignored, Chubby Cheekers turns to the Dad.

Heeeey!  She no give me a Cheetos.  I need a Cheetos.

Cue embarrassment.   At this point he is trying to climb over to get into the snack cup.  Little Man and Little Miss just sitting there shaking their heads.  I mean we couldn't have fallen too far off the course if those two realized it was crazy to ask strangers for snacks, right???

So maybe it's the third child...

Or maybe we aren't that great of parents.  We just thought we were, but lucked out with the first two...

Or maybe we're just going to have to reign this last one in a bit more.

Or maybe we should just travel with Cheetos.

Yeah, that's it.  Travel with Cheetos.

Problem solved.


No comments: