Wednesday, December 5, 2012

It's About Giving

Recently I signed up with Compassion International as an Assignment Blogger.  It's their way of getting the message out of what they do and getting others active in assisting people all over the world.

Giving has always been on my priority list.  Even in times where our cash flow is limited, we give.  This isn't for a 'well done' or a nice pat on the back.  In fact, it embarrasses me a bit when giving outside of our usual tithe.  I don't know why.  It just does.

Look, already I'm getting off topic here!

One of the blogging topics was to answer the following question:

Why do you give?

I kind of thought, "Well, duh!" to this question, but then I really started thinking about why do I give to the organizations I give to.  A few days ago, I entered a photo contest through a local business, Elliott Roofing.  If my photo gets the most likes, they will donate $500 to the charity of my choice.  

I was right on this contest.  All I had to do was enter a funny Christmas photo to get $500 donated to a charity.  How simple is that?  The hard part was choosing a charity.  

My eyes see so many needs daily.  If I had unlimited cash flow, I could work all day blessing people and still not make a dent in meeting all the needs out there. This breaks me heart.  However, two needs areas that weigh on my heart are those who cannot provide the basic needs for their children and child trafficking.  Often times, my extra money goes to three organizations who work diligently and responsibly to alleviate people suffering from the above mentioned travesties.


In the end, I chose Samaritan's Purse to receive the $500 if I win.  Specifically to build a freshwater well for a community and an in home water filtration system for one family. I have to say even though this was my final choice, I still feel a tug on my heart for the other organizations.  Again, so many people with so many needs.

This is where I'm asking for your help.  In this season of giving, it is so easy to get tunnel vision while checking off people on our gift lists. Although it is wonderful to give to those we love, it is also wonderful to give to those we don't even know.  

That same question I was asked on my blogging assignment, "Why do you give?", is the same question I am going to ask you...

Why do you give?

I'm also going to challenge you to add another person(s) to your list.  Someone you don't even know.  You can even do this from the comfort of your own home.  All you have to do is click on the link below, and chose a gift that will alter the life of one stranger.  Not just bring temporary happiness, but a true life change.  I can't think of anything better this holiday season.

Here's the link:


And since you are already on the World Wide Web, you should go like this photo on Elliott Roofing's page...
After all, special ingredients in cookies is always funny...as long as you aren't eating them ;)

No comments: