Friday, December 14, 2012

Hold On

There are days I feel like I'm burning at both ends.  Housework, kids' schedules, babies, school, cooking, it's a bit much at times.  Who am I kidding?  It's a bit much all the time.

I'm sure you've noticed that somedays, like today, you come here to read the latest craziness of my life and it's the same old, same old.  Nothing new has been posted.  I hate that.  I really enjoy writing about nothing and sharing that nothing with everybody, but at the end of the day it's either sleep or write.  Hmmm...not really a tough one for me.  Sleep wins.

Of course there are other things that keep me from writing blog posts during the day.  Those things are Thing 1 (Steven), Thing 2 (Little Man), Thing 3 (Little Miss), Thing 4 (Chubby Cheekers), Thing 5 (Chunkey Monkey), and Thing 6 (Mr. Fluffy Pants).  Caring for 6 people is A LOT of work, and I've found myself at times keeping myself busy with things that don't really matter in place of spending time on things that do really matter.

A few months back a friend posted something about spending time with your kids today because tomorrow they will be older, and you will never ever get that time back.  For some reason that hit me so hard.  The kids are growing up so much faster than I would like.  Although I celebrate each of their stages, there is a bit of a sadness that we are headed to new uncharted territory where newborn coos and snuggles are no longer.

It also made me think about how frequently I use the phrase, "Hold on."

Mommy, you want to play paper dolls? Hold on, Honey.  Let me finish unloading the dishwasher.

Mommy, let's play basketball. Hold on.  I just need to put the clothes in the dryer.

Mommy, you want to play a game? Hold on. I need to call Daddy for something real quick.

I do feel like keeping an orderly house is important for our family to function properly, but there will be a day where the requests to play will cease.  So today, I'm working on removing "Hold on" from my vocabulary.  I'm working on keeping myself busy with what's really important.  My kids should know that my world is revolved around three things...my God, my husband, and them.  In that order.

I guess I'm here to say, that I'm sorry if there is not a post everyday.  I'm working on writing because I love to write and not because I need to post something.  I'm working on keeping busy with what's really important, and these guys are really important...


And just for the record, Little Man's face is generally how I look throughout the day.  Such a happy thought, right?




No comments: