Thursday, July 14, 2011

Sweet Taco Salad

This recipe comes from my mom.  She made this for us growing up and it is delicious.  It's a great spin on the traditional taco salad.  I'll do my best to give you accurate measurements of the ingredients, but I've never made this from a traditional recipe.  It's always been a little bit of this and a little bit of that.  Feel free to change up whatever.  That's what we do over here.

Sweet Taco Salad
1 lb ground beef or turkey
1 packet taco seasoning
1 bag Fritos
1 can kidney beans or black beans
1 tomato, diced
1/2 cup green onions or regular onions, chopped
1 cup shredded lettuce
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Catalina dressing, to taste (I probably use 1/2 bottle)
  • Cook beef until no longer pink.  Add taco seasoning and follow package directions.
  • Allow meat to cool a little.  Meanwhile, drain and rinse beans.
  • Combine beans, lettuce, onions, cheese, and tomatoes.
  • Add meat and Fritos.
  • Drizzle on Catalina dressing.  Toss and coat.
That's it.  I would suggest that if you want leftovers, you should keep the Fritos separate from the remaining ingredients.  Otherwise they get super nasty soggy, and no one wants that.  At least I don't.  I'm upchucking just thinking about it.

Hopefully I will have a picture for you soon.  I know I like to see what the dish actually looks like before I make it.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I love this taco salad! We used to eat his growing up too. I am 99.99% sure Jimmy doesnt like it so its been like 8 years since I've eaten it. And you're right there are no measurements.