Saturday, February 13, 2010

A Valentine Meal

Have you been to The Pioneer Woman's blog yet? If not, you need to rush over there ASAP! Well, after you read this post first of course ;)

For Valentine's Day we have family coming in from Illinois. Instead of making a reservation at a pricey restaurant, and rushing through a meal because we have 4 fussy kids aged 3,1,1, and 6 months, we all decided to eat in. Which means I do the cooking. I really don't mind because that means I get to make what I want to eat while everyone else chases Little Man and Little Miss around. Win-win situation for moi!

Now onto the menu. My mouth is watering already {insert heavy salivating here}.

V-Day Menu
Chicken Parmigiana
Recipe found HERE
{Picture from The Pioneer Woman}

Eggplant Parmesan
Recipe courtesy of my mama!

1 medium eggplant
1 egg
2 TBSP. water
3/4 cup dried Italian style bread crumbs
1/4 cup oil
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp. savory
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
1 8 oz pkg. sliced mozzarella cheese (I used shredded)

Cut eggplant cross-wise in 1/2 inch slices. Beat egg and water. Dip eggplant into egg mixture, then into bread crumbs. Saute slices in oil in large skillet until brown on both sides and fork tender. Layer 1/2 of the eggplant slices over the bottom of a greased 2 quart casserole, then pour half of the tomato sauce, oregano, Italian seasons, savory, paremsan cheese, and mozzarella slices. Repeat layers. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 - 40 minutes. Serves 4 - 6 as a main or side dish.


Seasoned Asparagus

Salad
Garlic Bread

Happy Cooking!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have never cooked eggplant. I will have to try this. Happy Valentine's Day!