When thinking of our weekly menu I keep in mind something that is easy to make and easy to consume for Wednesday nights. I also try to keep our weekly grocery budget down too. Keeping those two things in mind, the Creamy Chicken, Noodles, and Peppers was born.
It's a combination of combining good sales with a good coupon. The recipe is nothing new. Nothing too exciting, but fairly easy to make and yummy. A rich, creamy, filling dish.
So here's the break down of the ingredients and the cost of each item...
Creamy Chicken, Noodles, and Peppers
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, thawed (I used half a bag of frozen chicken breasts=$3.00)
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp butter
1 yellow bell pepper, coarsely chopped ($.33)
1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped ($.33)
1 small onion, coarsely chopped ($.45)
1 10oz tub of Philadelphia Cooking Cream Italian Cheese and Herb ($1.30 using a coupon)
1 box of whole wheat penne ($1.00 after price matching)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Total cost of ingredients=Roughly $6.40 or $1.60/person with two containers of leftovers. Not too shabby!
Here's what I did...
- Heat oil and butter in a deep skillet (I used my Creuset pot).
- Salt and pepper chicken and cook in pot with lid on until juices run clear.
- Cook noodles according to package directions.
- Without draining liquid from the chicken, toss in peppers and onions. Cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Remove chicken and slice in thin strips. Return to pot.
- Add in Philadelphia Cooking Cream.
- Add in noodles and serve.