Thursday, June 3, 2010

A Wrinkle in Your Forehand

Often times when I would assign a fictional picture book to my students, parents would question whether the assignment was too easy.  Fiction picture books are easy, right?  Wellllll, not so much.  I've got some books that will leave a wrinkle in your forehead.  Let me introduce you to my friend, Mr. Chris Van Allsburg.  Okay, okay so he's not my friend.  I only have a writer's crush on him.  Kind of like my cooking crush on The Pioneer Woman.  Please don't turn your computer off now.  I promise I am semi-normal.  Now, back to books...

Chris Van Allsburg.  You know, the guy who is responsible for Jumanji, The Polar Express, and Zathura?  Well, he has a whole slew of books that are just as fabulous, but haven't been made into movies.  Like this one... 
It's about revenge.  Sweet, sweet revenge. 

And this one... 
Want your kids to take care of Mother Earth?

And this one...

Whew!  This one will make you sweat. 
If you can't figure out what the 'stone' represents, call me. 
We'll set up a counseling session. 

But my favorite is this one...

Moment of Silence please...
Okay, this one requires very little reading,  but will have your kid writing.
Uh, yeah.  You read that right.  I said WRITING!
Check it out.  You'll be amazed.

A little closing remark...do not get these books for your kids and then hoard them to yourself.  They are very addicting, and will have you thinking.  However, they are intended for your child.  Make sure you share!!!  I am very big on children's rights.

Happy Reading!

(These books are intended for children reading on a 4th or above grade reading level)

No comments: